Saturday, September 11, 2010

Alligator Alley: The Florida Everglades

Recently, my travels took me on a 500 mile trip around the state of Florida. My route took me south on Interstate 95 to Fort Lauderdale, and then across Interstate 75 north into Tampa.

But the most interesting part of the trip, was an area known as Alligator Alley. What is Alligator Alley, you might ask. It is a section of I-75, 84 miles long, from Weston (on the east), across to Naples (on the west), also known as Everglades Parkway. According to Wikipedia: The name was given by the American Automobile Association during planning; they believed it would be a useless road, an alley for alligators. However, as alligators often frequent the waterways beside the road, and occasionally the road itself, the nickname has a somewhat literal meaning.

The Everglades is home to all kinds of wild animals. So as I drove, I kept an eye out on the swamp waters. I was hoping to spot a wild alligator. I have to say it was a hot one, in the 90's. And there didn't seem to be an alligator in sight.

At the rest area, I got out with my camera, and walked down to the boat launch. The water was pitch black. It was an uncomfortable feeling walking across that boat launch, I imagined something looking up at me from the waters below. I just prayed no gators would jump out at me as I stood there.


The reflections from the sky, off the black water, was serene. And with the heat, and the tranquil water, I swear, a dip in the water looked like it would be wonderful. But I know what likes to lurk beneath.

And then... there it was, an alligator. So I snapped a few shots, watched it turn towards me, then the gator lowered and disappeared into the black water. Now... I'm not a big fan of alligators, so at this point, it was time for me to GO. I had no desire to wait and see where the alligator would pop up next. Nor did I want to be his snack food.
.

1 comment: